Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Favorite Albums: The 1960s

This has gotta be a first on the Internet: I'm going to post a list of my favorite rock albums! Well, maybe it's not totally original, but I'll at least break up the list in an interesting way. The first post will be my 10 favorite albums from the 1960s, the next my 10 favorites from the 1970s, then my 10 favorites from the '80s, then the '90s, and finally the 2000s. It goes without saying that all these lists are subject to changes, rearrangements, editing, etc.

I'm going to cheat a little for the '60s list, though. Were I to list my favorites straight-up, nearly all of the list would be taken by those colossal titans, the Beatles and Bob Dylan. To be fair to the other musicians from probably the greatest decade of rock music, I'll post two separate lists for the '60s, one with only Beatles and Dylan albums, and one list for everyone else.

In the spirit of Elvis Costello's quote ("Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"), I won't really write anything about these albums. Nothing I could write would really do this great music justice, anyway. Rather, I hope that anyone who reads this might be encouraged to check out (or revisit) some of this music. If your tastes are anything like mine, it will enrich your life.

My Favorite Beatles and Bob Dylan Albums from the 1960s
----------------------------------------------------------
The Beatles -- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles -- Abbey Road
Bob Dylan -- Highway 61 Revisited
The Beatles -- The Beatles ("The White Album")
Bob Dylan -- Blonde on Blonde
The Beatles -- Revolver
Bob Dylan -- Bringing It All Back Home
The Beatles -- Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles -- Rubber Soul
Bob Dylan -- Another Side of Bob Dylan

My Favorite Albums from the 1960s (non-Beatles-and-Bob-Dylan category)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Love -- Forever Changes
The Kinks -- Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
The Velvet Underground -- The Velvet Underground and Nico
The Band -- The Band
The Who -- Tommy
The Kinks -- The Village Green Preservation Society
The Rolling Stones -- Beggars Banquet
The Byrds -- Sweetheart of the Rodeo
The Kinks -- Something Else
The Doors -- The Doors

EDIT: I need to include an album that I hadn't heard before making this list, but which is now one of my favorite of all time:
The Zombies -- Odessey and Oracle
Amazingly perfect pop.  I'd put it around 3rd or 4th on the second list above.

Actually, taking away the Beatles and Dylan left enough room for about all of my most deeply beloved '60s albums to make the top ten. The albums that were considered but left out were some that I admire a great deal but only love a little, e.g.: Pet Sounds, Astral Weeks, Music From Big Pink, John Wesley Harding, Surrealistic Pillow, Led Zeppelin II, The Who Sell Out, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere. Fine albums, but none that I really regret not including. I imagine the 1970s and '80s lists, based on sheer numbers, might force some harder calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment